Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Waxing Philosophicalish: Obama, Change For Nigeria And Some Comedy Grasshopper Drama

Moyo Ogundipe is a man? Are you kidding me?

I'm surprised for two reasons:
  1. Because my friend (who I am going to tell off after this) said he met Moyo and that "she" was really impressive, and
  2. Because his paintings are so appealing to the female eye! I know next to nothing about art, but his choice of colour, and the delicacy and overwhelming prettiness of some of his portraits had me totally convinced he was a woman.
On to a more poignant topic now... I feel today should be a public holiday. 'Obama Day' has been so inspiring, and has really given me (and the rest of the world I'm sure) such abundant hope. I can't wait till its our turn in Nigeria to celebrate as Americans are celebrating right now. There will come a day when the Nigerian Oprahs and Jesse Jacksons will stand shoulder to shoulder with thousands of other Nigerians, tearing up and cheering on our own beacon of change. And it will be incredible!

Things are changing here, however slowly, and one has only to look at the number of returnees or 'repats' flying home in their droves, to see that they are. I know several people who have come home determined to be agents of change because they believe, for the first time, that they can be effective and make a difference.

The change in Nigeria can be seen in the big things, like the gradual move towards transparency in our government or our dramatically improved freedom of speech, and in the littlest (and comparatively insignificant, I knooow) things like the improvements in the Lagos nightlife and social scene.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but I remember a time when night clubs were places patronised only by women of the night and their prospective clients. The only decent club worth going to was Pancho Villa (which by the way I've heard is coming back from the dead. Double yaay!), and the bar with the widest selection of drinks was Tribes. Now, on a Friday night, it may not seem like much, but we have a ton of choices! No. 10, Caliente, Bacchus/6 Degrees, Piccolo Mondo, Saipan, Churrasco, Suites XVIII, Auto Lounge, Volar... Speaking of which, I was at Volar last night to be part of the live audience watching 'The Comedy Club: Live in Lagos', a new comedy show to air soon on M-Net.

Volar
(Night Club)
Adeola Odeku, Victoria Island

Walking into Volar, it was great to see how much effort had gone into transforming the erstwhile dungeon of darkness into a smooth, sexy and cool comedy spot. The decor gave me high hopes for the show, which was to feature a newbie called Ogbolo, Teju Babyface, and the Sharp Band, but I was soon to be found gazing longingly at the exit 5 minutes into Ogbolo's opening performance. His 'unique talent' is making fun of disabled people it seems, telling jokes about blind, and deaf and dumb girls, and worst of all, parodying a disabled but horny man with his hand and feet gestures. It was humorous at moments, but oh so inappropriate. Teju Babyface was significantly better, but in between the two performances the audience was forced to endure long gaps of silence when literally nothing was going on and we were left to twiddle our thumbs. What started on a high (the effect of IK Osakiedua's hilarious MC-ing) ended on a disappointing low. Actually I tell a lie, I didn't make it to the end, so I can't say exactly how it ended. By the time the director was yelling "Cut!!" I was lip-deep in a raspberry mojito at my home away from home, Bambuddha.

I couldn't get out of Volar fast enough really. Did I mention that before the comedy show began, a clumsy waitress sent a ton of glasses containing the foulest, most disgusting, florescent green "Grasshopper" cocktail known to man, flying onto my lap, my watch, my phone, my shoes and into my handbag? Luckily for her I had literally just downed a pretty potent margarita, and so only took in the full force of the damage 10 minutes later when she was safely out of sight, and I was in Jade Palace territory wiping my legs down with a hot towel gratefully received from my faithful Chinese homie in Lagos, Akin.

Thanks Akin!

Tonight was supposed to be my night with the girls at the new-ish grill at K's Place, which I'm sure would've provided ample blog fodder, but I am far too tired from all this night-hopping and am looking forward to a moochie night in. Hoorah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm the first to comment.... First of all might I just say that, I too had a happy tear in my eye when I heard that Obama won. The jubilation was so infectious. And yes we pray and hope for Nigeria that a change will come soon! You be the first to carry the flag for change..OK? ..... even if the only way you can do so is by partying in these fabulous sounding places you blog about. I want to goooo toooooo!!! lol!!!

TheAfroBeat said...

YES WE CAN BITCHY! YES WE MUST, YES WE WILL!

Trust me to beat this slogan to death!