Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Two Jewels & A Lion

Terra Kulture
(Theatre)
Tiamiyu Savage, Victoria Island

I bought 'The Lion and the Jewel' a year ago, during one of my many "let's get down with Soyinka" phases.

I never made it past the first act.

At the time I attributed my impatience with the play to Soyinka's writing, judging the plot to be too creepy crawly and the language too long-winded, for a quick brained chica mohita like myself. Last night however, I saw it come to life at Terra Kulture, and I loved every second of it. It was snappy, downright hilarious at points, and brilliantly acted. I found myself wondering halfway through, if the actors, who were so clearly at home on their little wooden stage, would come off as well on screen. Based on my few and gladly forgotten experiences of Nollywood, I have always walked into plays in Lagos expecting a shambolic show. I suppose judging Lagos' theatre scene by the quality (or lack of) of the country's movie industry, is a silly thing to do. But I wonder if those few theatre actors, you know, the ones that can really act, ever get pissed off at the fact that their productions are poorly attended, as last night's was, whilst the likes of Aki and Paw Paw bill millions of naira a month!

The second pleasant surprise of the night, also at Terra, was 'Kaleidoscopes', an exhibition by Moyo Ogundipe, who I had never heard of until yesterday (shows how cool I am). I loved her work simply because it was so different from anything I had ever seen before by any artist anywhere, not just in Nigeria, which is a huge feat for a contemporary African artist.
Her use of colour was inspired, and in every nook and cranny of her paintings (some of them enormous) was a geometric pattern or sequence, each one different from the next. Her paintings must take hours to create! I plan to bid for one of them at the second Art House auction, which comes up on the 19th of this month. Somehow I don't see myself getting very far on my measly corper budget :(

5 comments:

Jaja said...

Ajuwaya!!

Congratulations on your new blog.... Art enthusiast!!

I hope to see a Soyinka play someday... The Lion and the Jewel and Jero are the only of his play I loved reading...

How you doing?

Anonymous said...

Moyo Ogundipe is not a lady silly.. Unless of course it's a woman in a terribly convincing man suit!! lol!.... But any how. His work is actually really gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

My favourite is 'Visage of a woman' and 'Two Negritude princesses', the latter quite reminiscent of Picasso. Can't remember the particular Picasso period I mean but you get the gist? Which one did you (in your wildest dreams!....lol...cheeky cheeky!) want to get. Basically what's your favourite?

Ms. Piggy said...

Jaja! My long lost homie! How have you been? Hope all is good in your hood?

F.U. Long time no hear babe! I think my favourite was called 'Three Lagos Socialites'? It's got 3 women in head ties. That's the one I had hoped to bid for. But then I got my corper allowance today (N9500 to be exact) and it turns out I'm going to be spending all of it at the hairdresser come Friday. Sob!

Anonymous said...

Oh I know. The women in that painting are so beautiful. I think I might add that to one of my favourites too. No more miss Bitchy now Miss Piggy?....Oh dear, quite self deprecating!!